Sundown: Romney to Jerusalem
Plus shots fired in England, the pope at Yad Vashem, and more
The Simpsons are Mitt Romney is going to Israel! [NYT]
• Two teenagers in Manchester, England, allegedly fired a gun at a yeshiva. [The Jewish Chronicle/Vos Iz Neias?]
• Yad Vashem has softened its description of Pope Pius XII’s actions during the Holocaust. Jewish grandfathers everywhere mutter angrily to themselves. [NYT]
• Wells Tower profiles Jewish porn star James Deen. [GQ]
• Charles Barron said the Jews are going to collect from Hakeem Jeffries for giving him victory in their primary. [Capital NY]
• Here is “Ben Netanyahu” playing soccer in high school in the United States. [Buzzfeed]
Far-right-wing Hungarian politician gets some unpleasant news
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.