Daybreak: Guma Aguiar is missing
Plus, Reform Rabbis makes less for equal prayer, and more in the news
• Female Reform rabbis make thousands—sometimes tens of thousands—less than their male counterparts. [JTA]
• Elie Wiesel’s decision to renounce a Hungarian state award was seemingly spurred by a story in the Forward by Tablet Magazine contributor James Kirchick. [Forward]
• Hamas and Israel have agreed to a ceasefire brokered by Egypt. [NYT]
• The C.I.A. may be helping allies decide which factions of the Syrian opposition receive weapons. [NYT]
• President Obama is under pressure to change tactics on Iran [NYT]
• With growing Jewish poverty, is it time to have a discussion about welfare in the Jewish world? [Forward]
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at email@example.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.