Sundown: Bar Refaeli, Bar None
Plus among the Hasidim undercover and in drag, and more
• Bar Refaeli is the hottest woman in the world, and that’s not even just like my opinion, man (it’s Maxim’s too). [Times of Israel]
• A Jewish nonprofit is receiving $1 million from New York to install 150 security cameras in the Brooklyn neighborhood where Leiby Kletzky was abducted (and later murdered) last summer. [NYDN]
• Settle back with Paul Berger’s report on Odessa’s lingering Jewishness. [Forward]
• Sacha Baron Cohen gives a rare out-of-character interview, and spends the first half of it talking about Jews and comedy. [BBC]
• Woody Allen reads his latest Shouts & Murmurs for your entertainment. [The New Yorker]
NYU law professor is close to recently freed blind Chinese activist
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180
WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.
I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.
We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.