Kabak Kalavasucho (Zucchini Pie) adapted from The Ottoman Turk and the Pretty Jewish Girl, by Beyhan Cagri Trock
6 medium zucchini, peeled
2 large eggs
1/4 cup matzo meal
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more to grease the pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grate the zucchini. This can be done in the food processor with the grating disc attached. Placing small amounts of grated zucchini in your hand, gradually squeeze out as much water as possible before placing it in a large bowl.
2. Add the eggs, matzo meal, cottage cheese, Gruyère, half of the Parmesan cheese, dill, salt and pepper.
3. Mix the ingredients well and divide equally into 2 greased 8-inch pie pans or 1 greased 9 x 13 ovenproof casserole dish.
4. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Drizzle oil on top and bake for 40-45 minutes or until brown. (A larger baking dish will require a few minutes longer.)
5. Serve kalavasucho as a side dish, or with salad as a main course.
Yield: about 8 to 10 servings