Fig and Honey Cocktail
With permission from Tori Avey, an award-winning food writer, recipe developer, and the creator of two cooking websites: The Shiksa in the Kitchen and The History Kitchen. Tori is a regular contributor to PBS Food and Parade.com, and her food writing and photography have appeared on Bon Appetit, Zabar’s, Williams-Sonoma, and The Huffington Post.
To Make a Pitcher of Cocktails, you will need
• 1 1/3 cup fig puree (ingredients and instructions below)
• 1/4 cup honey (or more to taste)
• 28 oz. (3 1/2 cups) ginger ale
• 21 oz. (2 1/3 cups) vodka
• 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
You will also need
• Blender, cocktail shaker, martini glass or sangria pitcher, skewers and fresh figs for garnish
To Make Fig Puree:
• 2 cups fresh figs, rinsed and halved
• 1 Tbsp sugar
• 2 tsp filtered water
• 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
• Combine ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Transfer to a container and refrigerate for 2-3 days, or use immediately to make cocktails. This recipe makes about 1 cup (8 oz.) puree, which will make about 10 cocktails.
To Make Each Cocktail
• 1 1/2 Tbsp fig puree
• 1/2 tsp honey (or more to taste)
• 2 oz. ginger ale
• 1 1/2 oz. vodka
• 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
• In a cocktail shaker, combine fig puree and honey. Mix with a spoon until homogenous. Add ginger ale, vodka, lemon juice, and ice and shake well. Start with 1/2 tsp honey to enhance the natural sweetness, and add more to taste if you need it. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with two fresh fig quarters on a skewer.
To Make a Pitcher of Cocktails
• To make a pitcher of the cocktail, you will need to make 1 1/2 times the fig puree recipe in the ingredient list above: 3 cups fresh halved figs, 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp filtered water, and 1 1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice blended till smooth. Once the puree is made, measure out 1 1/3 cups of puree. You will have a little puree left over, which you can save in a sealed container in the refrigerator to make more cocktails.
• Combine 1 1/3 cups fig puree and 1/4 cup honey, mix with a spoon until homogenous. Add 3 1/2 cups ginger ale, 2 1/3 cups vodka, 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice and ice. Stir to combine. Add more honey to taste if you need it. Serve immediately with chilled cocktail glasses.
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: About 10 cocktails, or 14 servings in a pitcher