Are You There, God? It’s Us.

Little people, big questions

We asked Lila, 7, Josie, 8, and Noemi, almost 5, a few questions: how do you picture God? Why does God allow evil in the world? Is God all-powerful?

You know, the little questions.

These imponderables may stump rabbis and philosophers, but children have their own ideas.

COMMENTING CHARGES
Daily rate: $2
Monthly rate: $18
Yearly rate: $180

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Tablet is committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing on Jewish life, all free of charge. We take pride in our community of readers, and are thrilled that you choose to engage with us in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse). Starting today, then, we are asking people who'd like to post comments on the site to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping us bring you the ambitious journalism that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with us free of charge via Facebook, Twitter, and our other social media channels, or write to us at letters@tabletmag.com. Each week, we’ll select the best letters and publish them in a new letters to the editor feature on the Scroll.

We hope this new largely symbolic measure will help us create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all of our readers, and, as always, we thank you deeply for your support.

rosmar says:

That was amazing. Those girls are smart and have fascinating minds.

I agree that sweet is good, too.

Allie says:

Wonderful! Except for the cheeseburgers. If G-d eats food, it’s probably not treif.

I loved watching them share their thoughts and then react to one another. So great!!

esthermiriam says:

He…. It?…. They almost got to She! but father question was set-up to keep that possibility pretty well hidden.

What was really nice here was that girls weren’t being patronized or their answers made fun of.

David says:

I doubt I was this articulate as a child! Truly amazing the mind of a child is.

Carny Asada says:

But it’s a GODLY cheeseburger, so how can it be treyf? Maybe he uses soy cheese.

carny asada! you funny, whoever you are.

janice says:

I’m concerned that kids of such intelligent & progressive parents have obviously been taught to think of God as a person, and most often (apparently) as a male person. I suspect this is a significant cause of so many Jewish kids’ discarding religion altogether, until and UNLESS they come to a more sophisticated conception later in life that makes sense to them. I don’t think it’s a developmental necessity to talk to kids about God in this simplistic/infantile way that they are almost sure to find absurd within a few years.

Linda says:

Why would you ask about God’s capacity as a father instead of or in addition to God’s capacity as a mother?

That notwithstanding, these kids are fabulous. You can see hints of the wonderful women they will become.

in my family we actually do talk about God as being without gender. i know it doesn’t sound that way in the piece!

Linda says:

Society is powerful. Remember this riddle from the 1970s: An ER surgeon sees the accident victim on the operating table and says: “I can’t operate on this child–he is my son!” The surgeon is not the boy’s father. Who is the surgeon?” Imagine my distress not even 10 years ago when my raised-in-a-feminist-household daughter heard the riddle never considered that the surgeon is simply the boy’s mother. She did, however, express surprise when learning that boys, too, could become dentists. She is now almost 18 and has taken to refering to God as the Kadosha Baruch Hee :)

I came across your blog’s link put up by a friend on Facebook. Thanks for putting useful information on the world wide web. It’s hard to come by these things these days.

I saw this really good post today.

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog. A great read. I’ll definitely be back.

fantastic points altogether, you just gained a brand new reader. What would you suggest about your post that you made some days ago? Any positive?

Are You There, God? It’s Us.

Little people, big questions

A Tour Through Poland as Seen in ‘Ida’

By Stephanie Butnick — Fans of the Oscar-winning film should start in the central Polish city of Lodz